Monday, January 17, 2011

Background Check

I promise I am not going to post things 24/7, but this post should have really been the first post I did. Let's just call it Catherine 101.  
   My grandmother taught me how to needlepoint and embroider when I was about 9. I do remember a brief stint with knitting, but I think it was traumatic for everyone involved so I did not pick that back up again. I come from a long line of needle enthusiasts. My mother makes gorgeous quilts and did cutout embroidery and knitting. My Grandmother did everything under the sun. Knitting, Crochet, embroidery, and needlepoint. I loved those special times with her. When I would stay with her she would take me to her favorite needlepoint store and let me pick out a canvas. My first piece was of two cats sitting on a wall and there tails looped together to make a heart. It was small and had many errors but it got me hooked. My great grandmother was quite the embroiderer (all the pieces shown below are her works). She made pillowcases and linens for her granddaughters hope chests. They are gorgeous, and I am so thankful that my aunts gave me some of the pieces. I think it's in my blood. So there you have it. That is how I got my start. I moved on from needlepoint to embroidery. I started off by just drawing something and embroidering it. I have used my brothers artwork, my own drawings, and then found the wonderful world of transfers. Who knew. I love Jenny Hart, and Aimee Ray's work. 
   I taught myself how to crochet this summer when I had to be confined inside for a month after my surgery. I refused to be bored and saw a website called Woo Work. I was fascinated and really wanted to learn how. 
   Well that's about it for now.


Here is my craft center made by my Dad!. He's the best. 


My mom used to have a needlepoint store and this needle box was in her store. It has thousands of thousands of embroidery needles.

All the sliding compartments are filled with needles


And Floss. I just noticed that the signs for the drawers is backwards. How funny. 

This is all the left over floss from her store many years ago. I still use it all the time. I wish I could find time to organize it all. 

All my felt

Does anyone remember making these as kids. I spent hours making these little tv's and drawing my own pictures. 

More of the tv I made with Hailey

My Great Grandmothers embroidery. Fabulous. 

 More work

My mother always told me the backside of your piece should look as good as the front of the piece. 



Yarn for crochet. 

And that is all for today folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment